Re: Inerrancy

From: Allen Roy (allenroy@peoplepc.com)
Date: Tue Jul 09 2002 - 01:20:40 EDT

    From: "John Burgeson" <hoss_radbourne@hotmail.com>
    > >Allen continues: "There is an important factor which is sometimes missed.
    > >Jesus gave us the comforter (i.e. the Holy Spirit) to lead us into all
    > >truth. This is the same Holy Spirit which inspired the Bible to be
    written
    > >in the first place. So, if we allow the Holy Spirit to lead us in our
    study,
    > >then we can rest assured that the same truth which He inspired into the
    > >Bible, we can get out of the Bible."

    > Whenever I see those magic words "you may rest assurred," I immediately
    > suspect snake oil. I do not discount the HS, but the above is empirically
    > untrue.

    What, exactly do you believe to be untrue? That the Holy Spirit didn't
    inspire the writers? That the Holy Spirit does not or cannot lead us to
    understand the truth He inspired into the Bible?

    > >Allen again: "I believe that the reason why there is so many
    "denominations"
    > >and differences between what people believe is because none of us really
    > >allows the Holy Spirit to lead us as could be our privilege in our search
    > >for truth."

    > Yeah sure. Well with that POV, why bother at all?

    I don't understand "with that POV, why bother." What POV do you mean, or
    think I mean? And why is it so useless?

    > Finally, recommending a 7th day adventist book, Allen writes: "He also
    > proposes that the Bible is, for the most part, a Case book and not just a
    > Code book."
    >
    > An interesiting thought. I might agree.

    Does it really matter if the book was published by an SDA publishing
    company, it the points raised may have some validity? Is there something so
    inherently wrong with being SDA that it must be labeled? Is it something to
    be afraid of in a world of freedom of thought and expression?

    Allen