Re: Understanding Prophecy (was Re: Daniel)

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Sun Jul 07 2002 - 22:52:22 EDT

    MikeSatterlee@cs.com wrote:

    > Hello George,
    >
    > I'm trying to figure out where you are coming from on this.
    >
    > You wrote: It seems very likely that all have a common reference to the event
    > of "the 145th year" (167 B.C.), though the gospel writers clearly intend a
    > Roman reference as well. Whether or not the writer of Daniel intended any
    > other reference is considerably less certain.
    >
    > You speak of the intent of the gospel writers. By using that phraseology are
    > you implying that Jesus himself may not have applied Daniel's words to Rome's
    > coming desolation of Jerusalem, and that this application and the words
    > attributed to Christ by them may have been a creation of the gospel writers?

             I am not implying anything but am attempting to speak with appropriate
    precision. OTOH, there is nothing implausible about Jesus using the an image
    from the Book of Daniel to speak about
    a future Roman destruction of Jesrualem. OTOH the fact that the
    gospel writers -
    as if often the case - all give different versions of the speech
    shows that they
    were not presenting a precise report of his words. That _some_ of the words
    attributed to Jesus in the gospels were creations of the gospel
    writers is quite
    clear. I should add that such redactional material is no less canonical or
    authoritative that "the genuine words of the historical Jesus."

    > You speak of the intention of the writer of Daniel. By using that phraseology
    > are you implying that the writer of Daniel may have been someone other than
    > Daniel,

             As earlier posts on this thread have indicated, it's extremely unlikely
    that the entire Book of Daniel was written by a Jew of the 6th century B.C.

    > and that this writer and the gospel writers may have disagreed about
    > how the prophecies contained in the book of Daniel were meant to be
    > understood?

             "Disagree" is not a good way of phrasing the matter. The
    gospel writers,
    probably a couple of hundred years after the composition of Daniel,
    were writing
    in a different situation and used the words and images of Daniel to speak about
    that situation. This is hardly something unique within the Bible. Matthew,
    e.g., used Hosea 11:1, which for that 8th century prophet referred to
    the Exodus
    of Israel from Egypt, to refer to Jesus' sojourn in Egypt.

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy
    http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/