Re: Lot and his daughters

From: bivalve (bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com)
Date: Thu Jul 04 2002 - 16:44:35 EDT

    >I think that the popular notion that the story of Sodom constitutes
    >a condemnation of homosexuality is mistaken; rather, the story is a
    >condemnation of the violation of the sacred law of hospitality. It
    >is interesting that none of the 18 references to Sodom in the OT
    >outside this story refer or allude to sexual sins...<

    Most of the references to Sodom do not make any more explicit
    reference to sins against hospitality than to sexual sins. Rather,
    Sodom is used most frequently as exemplifying thorough depravity.
    However, Jeremiah 23:14 lists adultery among the sins that make Judah
    like Sodom, and Ezekiel 16 uses sexual imagery in conjunction with a
    comparison of Judah and Sodom. The latter is focused primarily on
    idolatry as spiritual adultery, but much idolatry, especially the
    most popular idolatry of that time, also involves physical adultery.
    In the NT, Jude explicitly declares that sexual sin was a major
    factor in Sodom's earning of judgement.

    This does not mean that the anti-hospitality and oppression of the
    poor in Sodom were not serious sins. Also, the specific sexual sin
    seen in Genesis 19 is intended homosexual rape. Lot's offer does
    suggest that they were not exclusively homosexual but rather they
    were willing to assault anyone. A more general assessment of
    homosexuality requires other passages. The latest Modern Reformation
    has a review of Stanton L. Jones and Mark A. Yarhouse, 2000,
    Homosexuality: The Use of Scientific Research in the Church's Moral
    Debate. InterVarsity Press, 192 p. Judging by the review, it
    provides a good example of trying to integrate faith and science on
    this issue.

    > Finally, I'm not sure I would agree that Lot is a good man. He
    >really doesn't come off well in the Genesis stories.<

    II Peter identifies Lot as righteous, perhaps drawing on the
    resentful mention by the Sodomites in Genesis 19 of his acting as a
    judge. His making the entire trip with Abram may reflect faith.
    However, he is by no means close to perfect, and Genesis generally
    highlights his failings rather than his merits.

         Dr. David Campbell
         Old Seashells
         University of Alabama
         Biodiversity & Systematics
         Dept. Biological Sciences
         Box 870345
         Tuscaloosa, AL 35487 USA
         bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com

    That is Uncle Joe, taken in the masonic regalia of a Grand Exalted
    Periwinkle of the Mystic Order of Whelks-P.G. Wodehouse, Romance at
    Droitgate Spa

    From: "Robert Schneider" <rjschn39@bellsouth.net>
    Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 22:22:40 -0400