Lot and his daughters

From: Robert Schneider (rjschn39@bellsouth.net)
Date: Mon Jul 01 2002 - 22:22:40 EDT

    Commenting on

    GE 19:6 Lot went outside to meet them and shut the door behind him
    7 and said, "No, my friends. Don't do this wicked thing.
    8 Look, I have two daughters who have never slept with a man.
    Let me bring them out to you, and you can do what you like with them.
    But don't do anything to these men, for they have come under the =
    protection
    of my roof."

    Burgy writes:

         2. In Genesis 19:6 Lot, who was a "good man," offers up his two =
    virgin
    daughters to the rabble outside his door to protect his guests. Now I =
    admit
    that this was a terrible situation, one which all of us sincerely hope =
    we
    will never approach. My guess is that Lot, in terror, made the offer =
    because
    he hoped to be able to continue the arguments through closed doors and =
    that
    he had no intention of a follow through. But whatever Lot's intentions, =
    think none of us would ever consider such an action to be moral or =
    ethical.

    Bob's comments:

    Let me offer another explanation, based on my interpetation of Genesis =
    19. I think that the popular notion that the story of Sodom constitutes =
    a condemnation of homosexuality is mistaken; rather, the story is a =
    condemnation of the violation of the sacred law of hospitality. It is =
    interesting that none of the 18 references to Sodom in the OT outside =
    this story refer or allude to sexual sins; and of the 9 in the NT, the =
    defining reference for me is Jesus' in Luke 10:10-12 (Matt. 10:14-15): =
    Jesus tells his disciples that if they go to a town to preach the good =
    news and are not welcomed and received, they are to shake the dust from =
    off their feet, and that it will be better for Sodom in the day of =
    judgment than for that town. The connection that Jesus is making with =
    Sodom is clearly the rejection of God's messengers.

         Rather than making the offer in terror, with no intention to =
    following through, I think that Lot is going to extremes to protect his =
    guests, to whom he has shown hospitality, from the violation the men of =
    Sodom seek to visit upon these strangers: a most heinous =
    violation--sexual abuse. He does so by offering his daughters in place =
    of the strangers (a curious offer if the men were homosexuals). While =
    Lot lived (and the ancient Hebrews as well) in a society where daughters =
    are perceived to have a different role in the family from ours, such an =
    offer must strike any of us as indeed shocking. That none of the early =
    Jewish or Christian commentators found it worthy of comment may be =
    equally shocking--it is to me. But the point I believe the writer of =
    this story is making about Lot's offer is that he is so aghast at this =
    violation of hospitality (the "wicked thing" he is referring to) that he =
    is willing to abandon his own daughters in order to preserve it, =
    because, as we know both from the Law of Moses and the customary law of =
    other ancient cultures (and some modern Muslim cultures, e.g., =
    Afghanistan, today), hospitality was one of the most sacred of customs =
    and to be violated at the risk of divine displeasure. If Lot had agreed =
    to turn over the visitors to the men of Sodom he would have become =
    complicit in their crime and subject to divine punishment. The men of =
    Sodom should have been aware of this sacred obligation, which makes =
    their behavior rather astonishing.

         I say all this not to defend what Lot was willing to do, because I'm =
    not certain it was defensible even on ancient custom and law, and is =
    certainly not defensible by any standard of Christian rightness, but =
    rather to try to explain and make sense of Lot's decision. It is a fact =
    of the story, and it ought to trouble any reader on this list. What are =
    we to say of Lot's behavior? There is a lot about sexuality in the =
    story of Sodom, and all of it is disturbing to us, or ought to be. I =
    wonder what the Hebrews who heard this story in its early tellings =
    thought of it all?
        =20
         Finally, I'm not sure I would agree that Lot is a good man. He =
    really doesn't come off well in the Genesis stories.

    Bob Schneider
    =20