Re: Was the Incarnation necessary?

From: Michael Roberts (michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: Thu Jul 04 2002 - 13:42:10 EDT

    Bob

    I agree that much pop evangelicalism gives a very stunted understanding of
    Christ reducing the crucified, risen and ascended incarnate Lord to a very
    crude and simplistic substitutionist atonement and nothing else so that
    Incarnation, resurection ascension, his life teaching miracles, and also
    other aspects of his redeeming work (i.e. other understandings of the
    cross ) are simply ignored.

    However that is not Calvin Luther Cranmer or most Prot theologians. I find
    the finest exposition of the Incarnation in relation to redemption is
    Athanasius in the early 4th century but I reckon that some Incarnational
    theolgy today is clearly not Athanasian.

    As for other habitable planets like most 19th century evangelicals I can see
    no problem of God becoming incarnate there as well. Anyway Jesus did not
    have to be male to be God incarnate, I see the maleness of our Saviour being
    God accomodating Him/Herself (God is above sex) to the customs of the 1st
    century.

    We have to include Colossians 1 in our understanding of Jesus and John 1 of
    course.

    I will leave you to decide whether I am a liberal or a catholic now!

    Ehjoy the fireworks

    Michael