Re: Challenge #1 response

From: J Burgeson (hoss_radbourne@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jul 03 2002 - 18:31:20 EDT

    David Siemans posts a long response to my post on Challenge #1.

    Here is my reply. The issue concerns Ps 137 8-9
    I had written: "The psalmist who wrote... those words certainly felt them;
    nonetheless
    in so doing he (or she) perceived the mind of God in an inadequate
    fashion."

    David asked: "Does this passage specify that this is God's view? It seems to
    me that
    there is an undercurrent that this is the ethical standard. Is it?"

    My reply: I do not see any indication that it represents "God's view," nor
    do I see that it indicates in any way an ethical standard we should emulate.

    David continues: "Would we have mourned had the attempt on Hitler's life had
    succeeded? I think we'd have rejoiced more if the entire Nazi command had
    been suddenly obliterated, for we would have hoped that the amount of evil
    done would have been decreased."

    I, for one would not have mourned. You speak there of grown men and women
    who had so obviously embraced evil that no innocence remained. Those days
    are part of my young history. I was less happy with Hiroshima, for there
    1000s of innocents were incinerated. Was a greater amount of bloodshed
    averted thereby? That is the argument, and it carries some validity. Let me
    assume it is a valid argument, and that there was no other tactic that would
    have worked. If I were thus persuaded, and I suppose Harry Truman was, then
    I would have order the bombing as he did. But I cannot conceive of my doing
    so with any degree of glee as I contemplated the innocents that would
    necessarily be killed.

    David writes: "Someone observing the amount of evil done by Babylon will
    similarly feel
    joy that it no longer could practice its evil ways, especially with the
    assurance that it could not rise again if all its members, down to the
    youngest, were gone."

    Joy for the exit of evil, yes. Not for the murder of innocents. And such is
    the topic here.

    David writes: "Burgy, you may not think this very Christian, but I am happy
    when a
    robber or carjacker is shot to death, for I am confident that the world is
    better without them: run of the mill honest folk have a greater degree of
    safety. Also, no clever lawyer will get them off to rob again, and again
    endanger others."

    What can I say? No, I am not happy in such circumstances. I make no claim
    that this makes me a "better Xtian" than you. I do observe that the phrase
    "clever lawyer" in the above is a putdown on an honorable profession, and as
    the father of a pretty good lawyer, I resent it.

    David writes: "May I suggest a different explanation? The group had narrowed
    the choice
    down to two who seemed to be equally qualified and had space for only one,
    if the pattern of 12 were to be maintained. So they used a randomized
    choice, trusting that God was in control when they asked him to show his
    will."

    I think that is just what did happen. I also note that it appears to be the
    last instance of this kind of thing in scripture, although I'm not sure
    that's relevant. In any event, the action was illustrative, and nothing
    more.

    I had written: "3. My last example is Genesis 30:37-39, in which it is
    reported that Jacob was successful in producing spotted lambs by having the
    sheep look at peeled sticks during mating. Is there any rancher, regardless
    how pious, who follows this practice in raising his flock?"

    David asks: "Does a factual report provide a principle for action? Folk
    science has
    been superceded by genetics."

    My writing must be more obscure than I realized, for this was exactly my
    point. I will try to do better next time.

    I wrote: Robert Rogland comments that the verse is a declaration that the
    sins of the Babylonians were so great that the pious could rejoice. The
    operative word there is "could." I do not think substituting the word
    "should," for example, would be correct."

    David: "How about substituting "will"?"

    I like that. "Will" seems like a better choice than "could."

    Finally, I wrote: "I am less comfortable with the concept that God's ethics
    are also evolving."

    David: "Why is it God who is changing when his revelation is progressive? Is
    not
    this the message of the first verses of Hebrews?"

    Again, both you and George Murphy misread me. Perhaps I should have written
    "I don't think the claim that God's ethics are evolving is valid." As I
    understand process theology, this is one claim that is made by some (perhaps
    not all) process theologians. It is a claim, of course, that may fairly be
    made to explain some of the mortifyingly evil commands of the early OT. But
    I was expressly distancing myself from this position.

    Thanks for the dialog, David

    Hoss (aka Burgy)

    http://www.burgy.50megs.com