Re: What is a cult?

From: Stuart d Kirkley (stucandu@lycos.com)
Date: Sat Apr 27 2002 - 21:43:46 EDT

    Like I said in a previous post, I am compelled to remove myself from
    this debate, which referred to another debate. I'm afraid I feel I
    have to defend my faith, just as I'm sure each of you would. I am
    quite done with the other debate, unless it continues to aggrieve me,
    as for any other issues which directly pertain to CHristian Science,
    I invoke my right to defend or answer any and all charges levelled
    against it.
    Thanks,
    Stuart Kirkley
    PS: this whole thing began because of a science-theology issue.

    --

    On Sat, 27 Apr 2002 20:06:01 Robert Schneider wrote: > >I should like to request that we all drop the issue of Christian Science. I >respect Stuart's defense of his faith and I recognize that the issues and >points of view that have been expressed are important to some. But is the >purpose of this discussion list to debate the status of a recognized and >organized religious body that claims to be Christian? If Stuart or any >other Christian Science adherent on this list raises a science-theology >issue that is a different matter, but let's stick to such topics. > >Bob Schneider > >----- Original Message ----- >From: "Kamilla Ludwig" <anamchara7@juno.com> >To: <asa@calvin.edu> >Sent: Saturday, April 27, 2002 5:26 PM >Subject: What is a cult? > > >> Stuart wrote: >> >> "I must again voice my objection to the use of the word 'cult' when >> describing any religion. The word has such negative connotations that >> it can't help but negatively influence those who don't know the >> difference, but might just accept this as being gospel and hinder >> their own objectivity to decide for themselves. It is patently >> unfair, and decidedly unchristian." >> >> On the contrary, it is the essence of Christian practice and history to >> define orthodox practice and belief versus that which is not. What else >> where the church councils about? I am sure Arius didn't take too kindly >> to being called a heretic, but such he was. >> >> Aside from the connotations you might object to, the word cult has a >> fairly well accepted theological definition which might be stated thus: >> >> A cult is any religious groups which differs significantly in one or more >> respects as to belief/practice from normative expressions of the >> religion. A cult is frequently gathered around a specific person and >> their unique teachings. >> >> Christian Science is properly called a cult and its followers cultists >> because they are specifically bound together by Mary Baker Eddy's >> teachings which do not fall within the pale of historically orthodox >> Christian belief or practice. It's an accurate term which should not be >> given up because some use it pejoratively. Just so with the followers of >> Joseph Smith and Brigham Young, commonly referred to as Mormons and the >> followers of Russell and Rutherford, known as Jehovah's Witnesses, and >> many other groups and their followers who would like to be considered >> Christian but are not orthodox in their beliefs and practices. >> >> Kamilla >> >> ________________________________________________________________ >> GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! >> Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! >> Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: >> http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/. >

    See Dave Matthews Band live or win a signed guitar http://r.lycos.com/r/bmgfly_mail_dmb/http://win.ipromotions.com/lycos_020201/splash.asp