Re: What is a cult?

From: Stuart d Kirkley (stucandu@lycos.com)
Date: Sat Apr 27 2002 - 20:04:41 EDT

    Well stated and factual. The problem lies with the pejorative, or
    popular notion of what a cult is, which connnotes that word with
    evil, mind control, and fanaticism. This definition has become so
    universal and pervasive, in light of Jonestown, Manson, and a host of
    others I can't think of right now, that you should be able to
    appreciate why it is considered an offensive term. I do not have a
    problem with the words usage in it's pure form. But like so many
    things, it has become seriously adulterated and the popular mind does
    not understand this,such that concessions should be made to protect
    groups from undeserved malice ignorantly directed at them.
    To be referred to as a sect might be a more acceptable, if not as
    precisely accurate, term.

    Also, my Webster's defines 'cult' thusly:
    1. A system of worship of a deity; as, the cult of Appolo. 2. Hence:
    A.- the rites of a religion. B.-Great devotion to some person, idea,
    or thing, esp. such devotion viewed as an intellectual fad. C.- a
    sect.

    In light of 2 A. this definition would include any and all religions
    which performs rites or rituals as a cult.
    Christian Science has no rites or rituals, therefore, by this
    definition, it cannot be a cult.
    I know some might say that we fall under the definition given in 2 B,
    but the only thing we are greatly devoted to is the Christ, or
    Immanuel, the Divine manifestation of God to man.

    Stuart Kirkley

    On Sat, 27 Apr 2002 15:26:00
      Kamilla Ludwig wrote:
    >Stuart wrote:
    >
    >"I must again voice my objection to the use of the word 'cult' when
    >describing any religion. The word has such negative connotations that
    >it can't help but negatively influence those who don't know the
    >difference, but might just accept this as being gospel and hinder
    >their own objectivity to decide for themselves. It is patently
    >unfair, and decidedly unchristian."
    >
    >On the contrary, it is the essence of Christian practice and history to
    >define orthodox practice and belief versus that which is not. What else
    >where the church councils about? I am sure Arius didn't take too kindly
    >to being called a heretic, but such he was.
    >
    >Aside from the connotations you might object to, the word cult has a
    >fairly well accepted theological definition which might be stated thus:
    >
    >A cult is any religious groups which differs significantly in one or more
    >respects as to belief/practice from normative expressions of the
    >religion. A cult is frequently gathered around a specific person and
    >their unique teachings.
    >
    >Christian Science is properly called a cult and its followers cultists
    >because they are specifically bound together by Mary Baker Eddy's
    >teachings which do not fall within the pale of historically orthodox
    >Christian belief or practice. It's an accurate term which should not be
    >given up because some use it pejoratively. Just so with the followers of
    >Joseph Smith and Brigham Young, commonly referred to as Mormons and the
    >followers of Russell and Rutherford, known as Jehovah's Witnesses, and
    >many other groups and their followers who would like to be considered
    >Christian but are not orthodox in their beliefs and practices.
    >
    >Kamilla

    >GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
    >Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit:
    >http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.

    See Dave Matthews Band live or win a signed guitar
    http://r.lycos.com/r/bmgfly_mail_dmb/http://win.ipromotions.com/lycos_020201/splash.asp