Re: Bear sacrifice

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 13:22:12 EDT

    Adrian Teo wrote:

    > Hello Bob,

             Luther's best known statement about the fallibility of councils comes
    from the Leipzig debate
    of 1519, & he was referring especially to the Council of Constance a century
    earlier where Jan Hus was condemned. Among the articles that that council had
    condemned & which Luther had in mind was "The universal Holy Church is one, as
    the number of the elect is one", which is from Augustine.
             Councils of the western church since II Constantinople in 787 have not
    been ecumenical councils so there should be no fundamental problem in admitting
    that they have erred. Luther's positive attitude toward I Nicea, I
    Constantinople, Ephesus & Chalcedon is shown in his considerably later essay
    "On the Councils and the Church" (LW 41). He does not indeed say that they
    were infallible but simply that their doctrinal decisions were correct because
    they were in accord with scripture.
             It is also worth noting that III Constantinople condemned Pope Honorius
    as a heretic, so it is not easy to maintain the infallibility of both popes and
    councils.

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy