Re: asa-digest V1 #2723

From: Doug Wiens (doug@mantle.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 10:10:21 EDT

    Burgy,

    There may indeed be a lot of water in the transition zone of
    the earth's mantle (400-700 km depth), since the main minerals there
    (beta and gamma olivine) can hold a lot of water. At this point
    the issue is not well resolved. At shallower depths the
    low pressure form of olivine (alpha olivine) cannot hold much
    water, so the issue is whether water can be transfered between
    the surface water cycle and the transition zone. It is thought that
    water could be carried down to these depths by subduction zones,
    either in the form of hydrous mineral phases or high pressure forms
    of ice (see Science, v 408, pg 844, 2000). Incidently the author
    of that paper told me that
      he tried to title his paper "Can hell freeze over?"
    but it was deemed too unscientific by the Science editors!

    As far as I know this issue has not been picked up on by YECs. Of
    course, the water from a 10,000 yr old flood would have only descended
    1 km at current subduction rates, but plate tectonic rates have
    never been a big limitation on YEC scenarios!

    Doug Wiens
    Dept. Earth and Planetary Sciences
    Washington University in St. Louis