RE: Oil Tidbits

From: Glenn Morton (glenn.morton@btinternet.com)
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 23:50:18 EDT

    I am sure that it was Thomas Gold you heard on the radio or read. Gold is a
    fascinanting guy who has had about 50% of his great thoughts turn out true.
    I think he is correct that methane does outgas from the earth's interior. I
    don't think he is correct about oil.

    There are molecules which are found in oil which came from various groups of
    animals and plants and appear in oils sourced by rocks of ages later than
    when those groups appeared. For instance, 24-norcholoestane is a fossil
    molecule which is found in diatoms. It is found in oils which are sourced
    from Jurassic and later.
    "Biomarkers, molecular fossils, are organic compounds in
    Holocene to Precambrian sedimentary deposits that can be
    related to specific chemical compounds produced in the
    biosphere. We demonstrate here that 24-norcholestane
    biomarkers, i.e., C26 steranes (saturated hydrocarbons having
    a steroid skeleton), can be useful to constrain the age and
    paleolatitude of geologic samples. The biological precursors
    of 24-norcholoestanes remain unclear, but samples from more
    than 100 basins provide evidence that 24-norcholestanes show
    an initial increase above background in Jurassic oils, but
    they increase dramatically in Cretaceous oils, coincident with
    diatom evolution. The highest ratios are found in oils and
    rock extracts from Oligocene or younger marine siliceous
    source rocks in which the sources were deposited at
    paleolatitudes greater than 30o N" ~ A. G. Holba et al, "24-
    norcholestanes as Age-sensitive Molecular Fossils," Geology
    26(1998):783-786, p. 783

    And with dinoflagelates we find chemicals in oils from them:

            "An extract of the whole sediment was also prepared and
    analyzed for comparison. The whole-rock extract represents
    nonpreserved biota and contained higher relative abundances of
    dinosterane and 4[alpha]-methyl-24-ethyl-cholestane than the
    fossil pyrolysates. This implies that an important component
    of the algal community had a dinoflagellate affinity.
    Biomarkers are organic molecules that are stable at moderate
    temperatures, which can be preserved in rocks even when
    recognizable fossils are absent. . . .
            "The occurrence of dinoflagellate-related steranes was
    also observed in the extracts and kerogen pyrolysates of two
    additional samples from the Lower Cambrian Buen Formation in
    North Greenland and the upper Riphean Visingo Beds (lower
    part) from Sweden. Skiagia and Comasphaeridium, which are
    present in the Lukati Formation high-fluorescent fraction, are
    dominant in Greenland sample and could be responsible for the
    dinosterane and 4[alpha]-methyl-24-ethyl-cholestane liberated
    from its kerogen." ~ J. Michael Moldowan and Nina M. Talyzina,
    "Biogeochemical Evidence for Dinoflagellate Ancestors in the
    Early Cambrian," Science, 281(1998):1168-1170, p. 1169

    Land plants evolved in the Devonian and produced a chemical never seen on
    earth in any earlier life for. The chemical was vitrain. Vitrain first
    appears in oils generated AFTER the Devonian. I attended a conference given
    by a friend of mine, Harold Illich, a geochemist. He made the comment that
    he could tell a Tertiary oil from earlier oils. He then mentioned that
    angiosperms created oleanane which is found in Tertiary oils. I objected
    and pointed out that angiosperms evolved in the early Cretaceous. He
    replied that I was right but that they were so rare until the last period of
    the Cretaceous, the Maastrichtian, that they couldn't contribute much to
    oils until then. He then admitted that he would miss on a Maastricthian oil
    because it would have oleanane.

    We don't find these various chemicals in the sediments or oils until the
    various groups evolved. And this is one of the problems which YECs can't
    explain within a global flood paradigm.

    As to Thomas Gold, he is correct IMO about natural gas, that SOME of it
    comes from the mantle. But he is wrong about oil.

    personal stories of struggle