punctuated equilibrium, etc. from a matter of trust

From: bivalve (bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com)
Date: Thu Apr 25 2002 - 16:26:57 EDT

    >the lack of transitional forms in the fossil record...I mean that
    >why don't we find the situation to be one wherein the literally
    >thousands of samples mutants or transitional forms to every one
    >sample of the stable forms -- by absolute quantity, not type. That
    >would seem to be the logical consequence of Darwinian evolution.
    >Also consider the world as it exists today. Forget about fossils.
    >Why are there not 1000 different forms of tiger mutants for every
    >"normal" tiger? Did evolution suddenly stop happening with tigers?
    >Same for all other animals.<

    Consider the range of variation seen in humans or dogs or any other
    species that you are familiar with. Likewise, there are several
    varieties of tigers (plus some recently extinct ones, like the black
    Javanese race). Variation is ongoing. However, looking at
    individual slices of time, the variation is not as obvious, whether
    in the fossil record or at present. For example, much of my research
    has focused on Cenozoic shallow marine faunas in the southeastern
    U.S. The fossil deposits are rich, but they only represent time
    intervals when the sea level was higher than present and which have
    not been removed by subsequent erosion. Even if a lineage
    experienced constant gradual change over the represented time
    interval, what we would see would be a series of samples with limited
    variation within the sample and distinct differences with older or
    younger samples, becausethe transitions occurred in missing
    intervals. In fact, there are several examples of forms that are
    interm!
    ediate between others, and some species in some layers that show high
    variability. However, the sampling and preservation bias alone would
    produce the appearance of a more stepwise process rather than a
    smooth process due to sampling and preservational bias. Another
    problem arises from the effort to identify and name specimens. If
    you are not sure what to call something, it tends to get put aside.
    In particular, biostratigraphic studies (trying to identify the layer
    based on the types of fossils) look for distinct, identifiable
    specimens, not intermediate forms.

    Also remember that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". If something
    works well, natural selection will act to keep it from changing
    rather than to change it. Solemyoid and nuculoid bivalves from the
    mid-Paleozoic look very similar to modern ones. Having found stable
    niches, they stayed there.

    >Now there was an alternate theory advanced by Gould. I know just a
    >little about it but it seemed a better match to the data than does
    >Darwin's - or Dawkin's - notions from my layman perspective. I also
    >know that NOVA suppressed one of their own shows with Gould's views.
    >My perception is that despite a better match to a great deal of the
    >most recent evolutionary data, "evolutionists" reject it because it
    >gives an opening for "creationists" to say "aha".<

    Certainly in the paleontological community there is general
    acceptance of the widespread occurrence of punctuated patterns.
    There remains disagreement as to the relative frequency of punctuated
    versus gradualistic patterns in evolution. The one study I did
    specifically addressing the issue looked at two kinds of clams. One
    turned out to show a punctuated pattern and the other showed gradual
    change. There is speculation that gradual change may reflect low
    levels of selective pressure. When the going is easy, many sorts of
    mutants will still be able to survive and reproduce, and perhaps
    gradual change will occur. If the pressure is higher, deviations
    from the mean are more likely to be either significantly detrimental
    or significantly better, so that there are periods of change
    punctuated by rapid shifts.

         Dr. David Campbell
         Old Seashells
         University of Alabama
         Biodiversity & Systematics
         Dept. Biological Sciences
         Box 870345
         Tuscaloosa, AL 35487 USA
         bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com

    That is Uncle Joe, taken in the masonic regalia of a Grand Exalted
    Periwinkle of the Mystic Order of Whelks-P.G. Wodehouse, Romance at
    Droigate Spa