Greek philosophy of science

From: Mccarrick Alan D CRPH (MccarrickAD@nswccd.navy.mil)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 08:36:30 EDT

    Burgy,

    I found your comment about Greek philosophy of science interesting:

    "I want to say a word here about this concept. The ancient Greeks had a
    philosophy of science that had two parts. Part 2 is the one I usually refer
    to in discussions here -- it says "Ascribe nothing to the gods." IOW, look
    for natural causation. But part 1 is what my friend Glenn refers to; "Look
    at ALL the evidence." Both are important."

    Could you give a reference for that thought ?

    It sounds allot like Polkinghorne's comment to the effect that scientifically stateable questions should have scientifically statable answers. Although that sounds like it precludes miracles in any real sense, I think that I agree with him (and your Greek source) generally.

    This is where Johnson and I depart (not that he knows or cares) - ascribing to God only those things that "violate" natural law and everything else acts on its own. Newton, Boyle and Asa Gray certainly saw what we call natural law as a wonderful proof for God's great creative power rather than disenfranchising Him.

    Al McCarrick