Re: ASA list to become a moderated list?

From: James Mahaffy (mahaffy@mtcnet.net)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 02:19:26 EDT

    Terry and the list

    In part because of noise on the list and in part because I can only
    afford mail from only a certain number of busy lists, I only read the
    ASA list via the archives.

    Yes noise would decrease on a moderated list and that would obviously
    make the list more attractive. So I would give a hesitant yes.

    Two downsides. As a listowner of both the acb and acg (christian
    geology and biology lists) I know something about some of the work a
    list requires and moderation would add a lot of work for someone.

    The other MAJOR downsides is that moderation would almost eliminate the
    rapid exchanges which are a great strength of an unmoderated list. I am
    sure no moderator would read this message at 1PM so it would not appear
    until the next day. Even in the day there could often be lags of up to
    an hour in posts. That would change the nature of the conversation and
    I think mainly in the negative. Still when I weigh it against the
    number of current messages it may be the lessor of two evils.

    Perhaps the a third option is to make up some rules that would keep the
    list on track and if folks do not follow them, then have the listowner
    have the option of removing offending parties. Many lists screen who
    they let on to the list. Of course then I might have to get the list by
    mail and given the number of posts, I probably would not. I think some
    form of this third option could keep the list on track and not produce
    the negative lag between posting and having your ideas appear on the
    list.

    PS I really liked our having Collins on the list. Maybe we could have
    someone like Plantinga on to discuss how the ASA could gain reputation
    as an academic group. The christian philosophers have done it.

    --
    James and Florence Mahaffy    712 722-0381 (Home)
    227 S. Main St.              712 722-6279 (Office)