Re: Bear sacrifice

From: MikeSatterlee@cs.com
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 14:43:34 EDT

    Hello Adrian,

    You wrote: Nowhere in Scripture, including Rom 5:19, is there any clear
    suggestion that "humans in the image of God" existed prior to Adam.

    I see a clear suggestion of this in Gen. 1:26,27 which I believe describes
    God's creation of the human race long before His creation of Adam. I also see
    a clear suggestion of it in Romans 5:13.

    You wrote: one cannot begin by drawing a scientifc conclusion ... and then
    try to see if the Bible will somehow fit into that understanding.

    We have done just that when we have accepted the conclusions of science
    regarding the fact that the earth revolves around the sun and not vise versa
    (Remember the story of the Church vs. Galileo?), when we have accepted the
    conclusions of science regarding the fact that the "days" of creation were
    not 24 hour "days," and when we have accepted the conclusions of science
    regarding the fact that the flood of Noah's day was not global. The most
    simple reading of the Bible alone certainly seems to say something else in
    all of these matters. That being the case, why is it wrong to see if the
    Bible may actually say something else about human origins than a very simple
    reading of it would seem to say?

    You wrote: I think you have made a critical mistake here. The "law" that is
    referred to is not the command to Adam not to eat of the fruit. Paul, as a
    Jewish Rabbi, is talking about the law of Moses.

    Was he? How then do you explain the fact that Paul said the sin that was in
    the world before the law was given was not taken into account? If Paul was
    there referring to the law of Moses then he must have been saying that God
    did not count Adam's sin against him. Is that what you believe Paul was
    saying? For Adam's sin was committed before the law of Moses was given.

    You wrote: If the church could have been wrong on her understanding of
    humanity and how death came about, then the church could have also been wrong
    on a number of other doctrines. Where is the Holy Spirit who will lead in all
    truth as Jesus promised?

    He is with us all continuing to lead us into all truth. But He is taking His
    time, giving every generation of Christians all the truth it needs and all it
    has been able to bear.

    Jesus said, "I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear."
    (John 16:12)

    Daniel was once told: "Those who have insight will shine brightly like the
    brightness of the expanse of heaven, and those who lead the many to
    righteousness, like the stars forever and ever. "But as for you, Daniel,
    conceal these words and seal up the book until the end of time; many will go
    back and forth, and knowledge will increase." (Dan.12:3,4)