RE: Doubt and Science.

From: Adrian Teo (ateo@whitworth.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 14:54:55 EDT

    Glenn,

    The photo you included is quite amazing! Yes, I do think that there is good
    reason for concluding that these may be religious arrangements, but I think
    your understanding of good scientific practice is quite different from mine
    (and mine has NEVER been to expect 100% certainty as you have ascribed to
    me). I will maintain that for good scientific practice, plausible and
    reasonable alternatives need to be examined seriously, (and of course, we
    should ignore the ridiculously far-out ones, like pixies), especially if
    these challenge our pet theories.

    I know you don't see this, but clearly to me in your posts, you demonstrated
    much defensiveness and bias to see the evidence in only one way to the
    exclusion of other plausible and reasonable alternatives. In all fairness,
    maybe it is because you have dealt with these concerns before to your
    satisfaction, and are frustrated that yet another person is bringing up the
    same questions. Maybe that is why you insist that I should go study the
    evidence for myself, because you don't want to go through all the trouble of
    explaining the basics. If that is so, I understand. But there are better
    ways of communicating this without inferring less-than-honest motives and
    implying that people are irresponsible. You seem to expect that a person
    only has a right to raise a logical concern in this informal forum (which
    was what I did) in response to a post if they have read most of the research
    in the area. I would say that your expectation is unreasonable. Informal
    discussions are just that. Comparing my actions in this forum to what Hugh
    Ross did in publication is unfair.

    I will let this rest.

    Blessings,

    Adrian.