RE: Bear sacrifice

From: Adrian Teo (ateo@whitworth.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 12:05:55 EDT

    Hello Mike,

    AT: This doesn't make sense to me. If Adam was simply an illustration, then
    Adam could not have been the cause of the condemnation, because the other
    humans were already unable to obey, and have probably disobeyed prior to
    Adam's disobedience. They would all have already been condemned. How do you
    explain why Paul so clearly explained that sin came through one man, Adam.

    > It seems that some here feel that Adam must have been the
    > first man created
    > in God's image because Gen. 5 seems to connect the "man" of
    > Gen. 1:26,27 with
    > the "Adam" of Gen. 2.

    As does Romans 5:12-14

    > However, I think this is not
    > necessarily the case.
    > Especially when we consider the fact that in Gen. 9:6 God
    > says that it is
    > wrong to shed "man's blood" because "in God's image he made
    > man." God is not
    > here forbidding the shedding of Adam's blood. Adam was then
    > no longer living.
    > Those who take your position must maintain that when this
    > verse uses the
    > Hebrew word "adam" for "man" God was then only condemning the
    > killing of
    > Adam's descendants. I don't buy it. If that's what God had
    > meant I think
    > that's what He would have said. I think the context of this
    > verse makes it
    > clear that God was saying that ALL human life was sacred to
    > Him since all men
    > were created in His image.

    AT: It is correct that Gen 9:6 is talking about the sanctity of all human
    life, but the traiditonal understanding is that all human life descended
    from Adam. Therefore, it is also correct to say that God was condemning the
    killing of Adam's descendents.

    Peace.

    Adrian.