The Real Eve

From: Dick Fischer (dickfischer@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 09:51:08 EDT

    For those who missed the Discovery Channel's presentation on "Eve" the web
    site is:

    http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/realeve/realeve.html

    Here is the beginning:

    "The greatest journey ever undertaken left behind a trail of unanswered
    questions: How did our species arise and spread around the globe to become
    the most dominant creature on the planet? Part of the answer came two
    decades ago, when scientists stunned the world with the finding, based on
    genetic research, that all humans alive today can claim as a common
    ancestor a woman who lived in Africa some 150,000 years ago dubbed,
    inevitably, "Eve." But while the notion of an African origin of the human
    family has grown to be accepted by most scientists, the details of how
    Eve's ancestors swept out of Africa to populate the rest of the world have
    remained murky.

    Now a team of scientists claim that, based on research on the ancient
    climate, findings in archaeology and a new, clearer genetic picture of how
    the human family tree has branched over the eons, the ancient itinerary of
    the human diaspora can finally be pieced together. It is an epic story of
    escape from starvation, glaciers and volcanoes and braving shark-infested
    waters in flimsy rafts. And like any good tale, it has a surprise ending:
    Contrary to established thinking, it appears that our human ancestors took
    a more southerly route out of Africa, traveling east across the Red Sea
    into what is now Yemen, and then through India and all the way to the far
    reaches of Australia, before they swung up into Europe. "There was only one
    migration out of Africa," says Stephen Oppenheimer of Oxford University,
    who is a leading proponent of this new synthesis of our species's
    incredible journey. "They couldn't go north that was blocked by a
    desert so they had to go south."

    A crucial cornerstone of Oppenheimer's piecing together of the human
    itinerary is the recent finding by Huddersfield University geneticist
    Martin Richards and his colleagues that the world's entire population can
    be traced back to a family tree that has its roots in Africa and a single
    branch leading out of the continent and into the rest of the world. Based
    on analysis of thousands of DNA samples from people worldwide, Richards'
    research reveals a detailed map of the human family tree and its various
    branches."

    Dick Fischer - The Origins Solution - www.orisol.com
    "The answer we should have known about 150 years ago"