RE: A matter of trust?

From: Shuan Rose (shuanr@boo.net)
Date: Sun Apr 21 2002 - 17:22:54 EDT

      I will let the experts speak, Walt . But the classical theory would view
    mutations as being quite rare.As to transitional forms, the reason why they
    do not appear may be that fossilization itself is rare.
      see
      http://www.tiac.net/users/cri/taphonomy.html

      But the fact is, EVERY scientific theory has holes in it somewhere.Many
    scientific theories appear incredible(relativity,continental drift, quantum
    mechanics, etc.)We tend not to hold them to same level of proof that we hold
    evolution.
      You are right, however, that scientists do tend to hold to their pet
    theories and are hostile to opposing theories. That's why there are
    scientific controversies.This makes Scientists human beings, not calculating
    machines.
      We should not accept evolution as an article of religious faith or as
    being proven to a mathematic certainty. It is simply the best scientific
    explanation in town. When or if a better one comes along, then evolution
    goes out the window.
      In short, be skeptical of evolution, Walt. But be more skeptical of
    theories less supported by the evidence. Take care,
      Shuan