RE: A matter of trust?(Or why YEC persists)

From: Shuan Rose (shuanr@boo.net)
Date: Sun Apr 21 2002 - 16:21:30 EDT

            Hi Jim,
            I agree with much of your post (Yes, we can agree!). However, I
    think the biggest blame lies not not on the seminaries, but on church
    leaders and church members who grew up with YEC and who are comfortable with
    it. They then surround themselves with likeminded folks, and so they don't
    understand how wacky their ideas appear to the outside world. Athiests who
    disagree with them are of course blinded by Satan, and Christians who
    disagree are " liberal apostates", "Judases", "so called Christians", etc.
    I think the biggest reasoon why YECism exists is the Argument from Personal
    Comfort-this contradicts my simple, literalistic interpretation of the Bible
    and so I won't even consider the evidence for evolution or an Old
    Earth-or if I do, I want mathematic proof.

        A second reason is that, lets face it, like so much of science, the
    theory of evolution is counter intuitive. Can Homo Sapiens -the species that
    builds skyscrapers and sends people to the Moon- really be closely related
    to chimpanzees? And could humans possibly be related to that fish that I see
    staring up from my plate? It sometimes boggles even my mind, and I believe
    in evolution!

        So the second reason why YECism will persist is the Argument from
    Personal Incredulity-this can't possibly be true!They breed dogs and dogs,
    and the result is dogs!

        While I wish you luck with your Web Site, I expect Yecism to persist and
    even grow. You should realise that there are already many anti YEC sites
    and discussion groups, starting with the ASA site.If you check the
    talk.origins links list page, you will find many more.They have been unable
    to put a dent in Yecism. However, fight the good fight! If you can't stop
    'em, at least you can slow 'em down. And please post a link to your new
    site when it goes up.
    ,.