Re: Brachiators On Our Family Tree? (Pre-Adamites)

From: Dick Fischer (dickfischer@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Apr 20 2002 - 09:41:30 EDT

    Steve Bishop wrote:

    >If such a 'reliable' source as A. D. White is to be believed then the
    >theory of Pre-Adamites was around in the seventeenth century:

    David Livingstone wrote a paper for the American Philosophical Society
    (http://www.amphilsoc.org/), and traced the beginning of Preadamite theory
    to Julian the Apostate, emperor of Rome in the 4th Century AD. Julian was
    concerned about the rise of Christianity in Rome and sought to guide them
    back to paganism.

    >Isaac La Peyrere's (c. 1596-1676) books were _Men before Adam_ (1656) and
    >_Prae-Adamitae_ (1655). He is often credited with being the first person
    >to (fully?) develop this theory.

    Isaac de la Peyrére was a Catholic priest who knew some of the Westminster
    divines who were charged with the Westminster Confession. Peyrére I find
    specially interesting because he reasoned his entire case from New
    Testament Scripture.

    He argued eloquently in Men Before Adam that a literal interpretation of
    Romans 5:12-14 indicated the world was populated before Adam. The key was
    verse 13: "For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed
    when there is no law." Peyrére reasoned that the law was given to Adam
    shortly after his creation, and if there was "sin in the world" at that
    time, there must have been people to do it:

              ... it must be held that sin was in the world before Adam and
    until Adam: but that sin was
             not imputed before Adam; Therefore other men were to be allowed
    before Adam who had
             indeed sinn'd, but without imputation; because before the law sins
    wer [sic] not imputed.

    Although men and sin were in the world before Adam, the manner of sin was
    in the form of offenses against nature, violations of "natural law," and
    all died a natural death. It was not until God imposed moral law, with
    Adam the first to be subject to it, that men were capable of "legal sin,"
    trespasses against God's law. Beginning with Adam's Fall, human beings
    die both a natural death and a "legal" or spiritual death.

    Ten years before Peyrére wrote Men Before Adam, the Westminster Divines
    penned their Confession of Faith. They sought to avoid any implications
    that all of humanity did not commence with Adam by putting the law on
    Moses. But if Mosaic law, and not Adamic law, was intended by Romans 5:13,
    it could mean that sin was not charged before Moses! No, the interpreters
    were not stepping into that trap. The Divines clearly recognized that the
    moral law, the "covenant of works," was given to Adam and said so:

    The rule of obedience revealed to Adam in the estate of innocence, and to
    all mankind in him ... was the moral law.

    If moral law was given to Adam, and already "sin was in the world," then
    wouldn't this involve people? The Westminster Divines were unwilling to
    entertain that possibility. They believed humanity started with Adam, and
    sin was passed to his posterity by "natural generation." The harmonizing
    device employed (although not mentioned specifically in the Westminster
    Confession) was to maintain that imputation of sin was through the law of
    Moses, but that it somehow applied retroactively to Adam and his
    descendants. This made no sense, of course, but they were torn between the
    illogical and the unthinkable. So, according to the Divines, the moral law
    was not "comprehended" until the Ten Commandments were delivered by God to
    Moses.

    Peyrére railed against the position taken by the Divines and their
    insistence that "the law" was the law of Moses:

    The Interpreters being between two such inconveniences, were at a stand,
    nor did know which way to turn themselves; But because it seemed less
    prejudicial to affirm, that sins were not imputed before Moses, and until
    Moses, than to affirm that there were any men before Adam! Therefore they
    preferred the first inconvenience before the second.

    In Peyrére's mind, since the law transgressed was the law given to Adam of
    Genesis, the sin was perpetrated by those who co-existed and pre-existed
    Adam. Sin was not imputed to those forerunners, however, until Adam
    disobeyed God's law.

             Before the Law of God, or till that Law of God was violated by
    Adam, sin and death were
             in the world, yet had gained no power over it : they had got no
    lawful possession, they had
             got no absolute power. The reason is, because before that time
    there was no Law given by God.

    Clearly, sin was imputed from Adam to Moses. What brought the flood? Was
    the flood not judgment for sin? Or for that matter, what about the
    destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah? And if the subject of Romans 5:13 was
    Adamic law, the sin that "was in the world" was committed by men other than
    Adam.

    Quotes from: Isaac de la Peyrére, Men Before Adam. Or a Discourse upon the
    twelfth, thirteenth, and fourteenth Verses of the Fifth Chapter of the
    Epistle of the Apostle Paul to the Romans. By which are prov'd, That the
    first Men were created before Adam. (London: 1656).

    Dick Fischer - The Origins Solution - www.orisol.com
    "The answer we should have known about 150 years ago"