RE: How and when did we become "men"?

From: Don Perrett (don.perrett@verizon.net)
Date: Sat Apr 20 2002 - 09:12:26 EDT

    Hi Glenn,
    Glenn Wrote: I would ask why one would doubt the Chauvet Cave example I
    cited? Why else
                     would people take bear skulls (only skulls) into a dark cave and place
    one
                     of them on a big rock in the center of the cave starting a fire behind
    it?
                      I don't think it was a picnic. If you can convince me that these people
                     weren't people, then ok we need to interpret it another way. But if you
                     assume they weren't people to begin with, then you have assumed your
                     conclusion.

    Without disproving your "people" factor, I would agree with Adrian's
    comments. Would you disagree and/or could you disprove the idea that
    something's perceived as religious, could just be a "show and tell"? Every
    time you write a book and then promote it or display some honor or trophy is
    it religious? Somehow I don't think this was the only thing they worried
    about. While religion may in fact have been an essential part of their
    lives, we have no proof. Even today, hunter will save the head's of their
    kill as trophies and even mount them on the wall. Do you think this is a new
    behavior, that was not practiced by preadamites? Let's get real. With the
    exception of our technology and knowledge, we are not that different than
    our ancestors. Human behavior has not changed much. It may mutate into some
    new form of expressing the same emotion or belief, but the inner reasoning
    is unchanged. I think anyone with a non-biased view would have to at least
    accept the possibility that the placement of dead animals, which they
    killed, are just a bunch of guys sitting around showing off their kills. I
    am by no means implying that this was the case, but it is just as likely.
    Now blood/ochre as you spoke does have a high degree of probability of being
    related to religion. By the way, just because some cultures more recently
    may have bear religions, does not mean that it did not develop more
    recently. It may have started out with everyone just showing off their kill,
    and then one day some guy comes in bragging about what he did and he ends up
    with some bad luck. He then decides that everyone should say a prayer or ask
    forgiveness from the bear to keep the bad luck from happening. This could he
    been long ago, or not.
    In either case, Keep up the good work and the debate. have a good weekend.
    Don P