RE: How and when did we become "men"?

From: Glenn Morton (glenn.morton@btinternet.com)
Date: Sat Apr 20 2002 - 11:19:55 EDT

    Hi Dick,

    You wrote:
> [...]

    Woah, Dick, don't go leaping to conclusions. I just presented many cases
    which show all signs of being animal sacrifice and now without even
    discussing why those examples don't qualify, you simply repeat your
    falsified claim. You once made the claim that you were an 'evidence' sort
    of guy. Then discuss the evidence.

    And while we agree that animal sacrifice is a great evidence for religous
    belief, it isn't the only evidence for religious belief, nor is it, as you
    seem to imply, the sine qua non of religious belief. You seem to think that
    without it, there is no spirituality. What of the fraction of Hindus who
    perform no sacrifices? Are you seriously claiming that they aren't spiritual
    and they don't have the image of God?

    If one makes the assumption that lack of animal sacrifice means that the
    image of god is missing, then I must confess I am not made in the imgage of
    God. I have never seen an animal sacrificed in any church service I have
    attended throughout my life. Maybe you go to a different denomination than
    I. Maybe you go to a denomination where each Sunday they kill a chicken in
    the service. Must be kinda messy. I guess all those poor southern Baptists
    who think they are going to heaven will have to face the fact that because
    they don't kill animals in their services, they don't have a soul to save.
    And come to think of it, I have visited synagogues on occasion and have
    never seen dead bulls, goats, sheep or pigeons in them either. I guess they
    lost the image of God when Titus conquored Jerusalem. Wow, I bet they don't
    know that. Do you think someone should tell them?

    >I believe the Sumerians picked up on the practice from the Accadians who
    >learned it from the patriarchs themselves, maybe all the way back to Abel.

    So why don't you explain why the slaughter of bears doesn't count for animal
    sacrifice? Are bears not animals? Or is it because it is easier to ignore
    and not mention it, acting like it doesn't exist, rather than dealing with
    it? Ignoring data seems to be all too common an activity among apologists.

    personal stories of struggle