Re: End of the Law (Was Re: cosmology & polygamy)

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Thu Apr 18 2002 - 07:39:17 EDT

    "D. F. Siemens, Jr." wrote:

    > On Wed, 17 Apr 2002 12:33:32 -0400 george murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
    > writes:

    > > confusion
    > > followers to
    > > puzzles, though
    > > AACTT:
    > > >
    > > > This is questionable because it seems to see Christ
    > > primarily as a
    > > > new
    > > > legislator. But Christ does not really give any new _teaching_
    > > that isn't
    > > > already there (at least _in nuce_) in Moses & the prophets. When
    > > Christ is
    > > > appealed to as a guide for Christian life in the epistles it is
    > > especially
    > > > his
    > > > passion & death, not his teachings, which are pointed out.
    > > (E.g.,
    > > > Phil.2:4-11,
    > > > Heb.12:2-4, I Pet.2:18-25).
    > > >
    > George,I find this strange because our Lord referred to himself as a
    > teacher (Matthew 23:8; John 13:13f), and he is so addressed, whether
    > in Greek (some 40 times) or by the use of the Hebrew/Aramaic rabbi or
    > raboni (some 16 times)--though I haven't sorted for overlap. I was not
    > aware either that a teacher had to produce novelty or that Jesus was
    > confused when He claimed to give the disciples entolen kainen (John
    > 13:34). It is, of course, obvious that there is something different to
    > the life of faith, which is the apostolic emphasis. This involves
    > recognizing Jesus as the Incarnate Word who died for our sins, and in
    > his resurrection empowers us. But even those who consider Jesus no
    > more than a great moral teacher can try to be obedient to his
    > teachings.

    Dave -
            Certainly Jesus teaches in the gospels & we should take his
    teachings seriously for the conduct of our lives. What I was objecting
    to was highlighting his role as teacher rather than the example of his
    entire life. While WWJD has, as we've noted, limitations as an ethical
    principle, I think it's closer to the mark than AACTT.
            That's partly the case because Jesus does not, as I said, give
    any new teaching. Even the "new commandment" can be seen as a
    restatement of Lev.19:18.
            The problem here goes deeper than it might appear at first
    glance. Excessive emphasis on Jesus as a teacher of the law (which
    indeed he is) easily blends into the idea that the gospel is a "new
    law".
    But it isn't law at all.

    Shalom,

    George