Re: Homo erectus in Africa

From: PHSEELY@aol.com
Date: Sun Apr 14 2002 - 16:15:58 EDT

    << I had always heard that the basic definition of a species is that it
     cannot interbreed with other species. >>

    AT least with some animals and birds, different species can sometimes
    interbreed and will in captivity but because of occupying differenct
    ecological niches or having different courtship rituals in the wild normally
    do not interbreed.

    I heard that it may be possible for humans and chimps to interbreed.
    This reminds me of the chimp that was taught American Sign Language and then
    taught Darwin's theory. The chimp signed back to his keeper, "Am I my
    keeper's brother?"

    Paul