Re: Lets fight fair-correction

From: bivalve (bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com)
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 15:12:18 EDT

    >Notice the distinction, "Old World monkeys." In other
    words, we have genetic markers common to African
    monkeys, but not South American monkeys. Why? Well,
    the monkey family was separated at the breaking up of
    Pangea roughly 200 million years ago. Which in turn
    implies that monkeys divided off the primate line, and that
    apes and man, dare I say it, branch off the monkey line, not
    that monkeys divided off the primate line to go on their
    merry way before apes evolved, and then man.<

    Actually, the South America-Africa split dates closer to 100
    million, as part of the breakup of Gondwana. The New
    World-Old World monkey split is rather more recent than
    that, however, with the New World monkeys closer to us
    than to the lemurs and other primitive Old World primates.
    Thus, the South American primates are thought to have
    rafted over from Africa in the mid-Cenozoic, and a similar
    origin for the South American rodents seems likely.

    This does not affect the basic argument that Old World
    monkeys appear more closely related to us than to New
    World monkeys.

    The latest Science has an article on differences between
    us and other primates. Patterns of gene expression in
    tissues such as the liver correspond well to levels of
    genetic similarity, so that our livers are almost identical to
    chimps'. However, gene activity in our brains is very
    unusual, and the chimp is closer to the Old World monkey
    in that regard.

    (Incidentially, i do not recall seeing an answer to Allen's
    question about gene number in humans. The estimated
    number has increased a good deal over 30,000 as closer
    study revealed additional genes and found that the two
    teams each found several that the other missed.)

        Dr. David Campbell
        Old Seashells
        University of Alabama
        Biodiversity & Systematics
        Dept. Biological Sciences
        Box 870345
        Tuscaloosa, AL 35487 USA
        bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com

    That is Uncle Joe, taken in the masonic regalia of a Grand
    Exalted Periwinkle of the Mystic Order of Whelks-P.G.
    Wodehouse, Romance at Droigate Spa