Fair Fight

From: Lucy Masters (masters@cox-internet.com)
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 15:11:16 EDT

    Walter, Dick, et al:

    I've been "following" Johnson, Behe, and Dembski for years. I agree
    with much of what you've said, especially with regard to honesty. I
    will add these thoughts from a behavioral perspective. First, we can
    never know what truly goes on "inside the heads" of anyone else, but my
    best guess is Johnson is not genuine. He is not a stupid man, but he
    says profoundly stupid things, and he says them in a highly
    confrontational way. Because of his prosecutorial zest, I have come to
    believe that truth is not now and never has been relevant to him.
     Johnson is a pure bred lawyer whose main goal in this situation
    (probably most situations) is simply to win. Any evidence which does
    not support his case will be ignored or diminished, and any person
    bringing the counter evidence will be subject to character assasination.
     This is the behavior of a courtroom lawyer and not a theologian seeking
    the truth. With Johnson it seems simple to me - he has chosen a side
    and now he wants to win - come Hell or high water.

    I see Behe and Dembski in a different light. They strike me as much
    more genuine than Johnson. That does not mean I agree with their
    writings, because I find both of them to write in incredibly naive ways.
     Behe in particular has contradictions in logic scattered all through
    his thoughts. Rather, it seems to me that Behe and Dembski are
    individuals with a high rate of cognitive dissonance. One would like to
    think that cognitive dissonance can only strike those with low I.Q.s,
    but unfortunately it is a kind of malleability that can impede the logic
    of even the brightest among us. As such, Behe and Dembski are the
    perfect sidekicks for Johnson - as attorneys just love people who can be
    convinced in spite of the evidence (juries, for instance). Behe and
    Dembski strike me as individuals whose beliefs are so strong that no
    amount of evidence ever placed before them can convince them that their
    previously held beliefs just might be wrong.

    To summarize, it is my observation that Johnson is probably willingly
    dishonest while Behe and Dembski may be naively sucked into a "cult
    mentality" that cognitively cuts off their sense of reason and logic.
     Cognitive dissonance is often thought of as an unusually strong defense
    mechanism. When the belief is challenged, the individual responds as
    though his very life is being threatened as opposed to just one of his
    ideas being threatened. For Christians who "hang their faith" upon an
    inerrant bible or belief in a 7-day creation or whatever, evidence that
    counters those beliefs truly threatens THEIR ENTIRE FAITH, and not just
    a portion of their theology.

    Lucy