Re: Who can you trust?

From: Dawsonzhu@aol.com
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 10:52:35 EDT

    Allen Roy wrote:

    > One of [Glenn Morton's] complaints against Creationists has been that they
    > have
    > deliberately misquoted and misled the public, especially the Christian
    > subculture, about science and evolution. Me experience has been that you
    > will not believe ANYTHING printed or quoted by YECs (including myself)
    > unless you check the sources for yourself.

    In principle, we should check everything: even reliable journal
    publications by reputed authors. In cases where it really counts,
    I often do at least some of that. That is why it is so important
    to get your references straight and make doubly (or even triply)
    sure that your references are accurate. Referencing accurately
    and representatively is definitely a costly and tedious operation
    in a lengthy treatise. Newspaper articles (which you mostly cited)
    _should_ be viewed as somewhat questionable since they are published
    daily by people who are not authorative sources of the original
    information. I don't think any of that goes against wanting to
    check YEC articles.

    On top of that, candor is of the utmost importance when you _know_
    that you will have skeptics that will question your work. At least
    if you have been up front and clear about _your_ interpretation of
    data and the interpretation presented by the other side, you cannot
    be blamed for distorting the information provided. This is something
    that we Christians clearly have fallen short on in most of the
    apologetics I see (not only limited to the YEC flavor).

    by Grace alone we proceed,
    Wayne