Re: cosmology & polygamy

From: Terry M. Gray (grayt@lamar.colostate.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 08 2002 - 22:50:37 EDT

    >>2.holy war/genocide -- Are you familiar with intrusion ethics--the
    >>idea that the final judgment intrudes into this present age? On this
    >>point, if the final judgment and destruction of the wicked is just,
    >>then so is this divinely commanded judgment against the Canannites. I
    >>don't think there is any Biblical warrant for such activity today,
    >>but I don't have a problem with it.
    >>
    > I have a problem with it (i.e., with military holy war) &
    >the vast majority of the Christian church, which has (formally at
    >least) adopted either a just war or a pacifist position, also
    >rejects it.

    George,

    I think you may have misunderstood me here (due most likely to my
    awkwardly phrased sentence). I'm not saying that I don't have a
    problem with it today--today is the day of grace and the free offer
    of the gospel and there is no theocratic state that enforces the
    divine judgment. What I was saying was that I don't have a problem
    with what happened in the Old Testament. God was executing righteous
    judgment against the Canaanites. It is analogous to what will happen
    at the final judgment when God will destroy his enemies and reward
    his people.

    TG

    --
    Fort Collins, Colorado  80523