Re: How to teach about evolution in the church. Was" Utley v Dawkins"

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Fri Apr 05 2002 - 16:03:18 EST

            My proposal amounts to having "the evolutionists" take over the
    churches" in the same sense that the geocentrists "took over the
    churches" a few centuries ago.
            I reiterate what I said below: Evolution is not to be the
    central message that the church proclaims, to be raised to the level of
    an unchallengeable meta-principle, or anything of the sort. But when
    creation and related topics are dealt with in sermons, parish education,
    &c, there are appropriate ways in which our scientific knowledge of the
    world should be brought in.
            If churches continue to picture evolution as an adversary of
    Christianity then those who are opposed to Christianity will be only too
    happy to take the proferred weapon and clobber the church with it.

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy
    http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/