Re: Nature of nature (was: Current events). That God should notbeGod.

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Wed Apr 03 2002 - 23:02:16 EST

    "Howard J. Van Till" wrote:

    > From: george murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
    >

    > > The questions that I have raised, however, have to do not
    > with whether
    > > process theology is internally consistent but with whether
    > or not it can be
    > > an adequate way of expressing the historic Christian
    > faith.
    >

    > I presume that process theologians like Griffin have every intention
    > of doing considerably more than re-articulating the historic Christian
    > faith (same concepts in different words)-- their goal is to modify
    > Christian theology (change its conceptual vocabulary and its
    > propositional system) in a way that takes into account what we have
    > learned about the world of which we are a part since the "good old
    > days" of Aquinas, Calvin or Luther.

            The previous passage which you cited expresses the intention to
    express different concepts in the same words, which is confusing at
    best.
            Of course the reference to "the good old days" (especially in
    quotes: "Get it? They weren't really that good.") is polemical. It's
    not clear that process theology is any better at dealing with the issues
    that have been raised by modern science than trinitarian theism, however
    old-fashioned the latter may seem to some. The issue that this thread
    began with, that of theodicy, is not a new problem. It's as old as Job,
    & the process treatment of it does not involve new insights about what
    we have learned.
            In the last analysis process theology has the same fundamental
    problem that has beguiled Christianity since its origins, the temptation
    to force Christian thought into a particular philosophical framework
    rather than letting philosophy serve a merely magisterial role.

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy
    http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/