Re: After Man? More musings on an evolutionary universe

From: Jonathan Clarke (jdac@alphalink.com.au)
Date: Wed Apr 03 2002 - 17:02:52 EST

    Most reflection on scientific eschatology considers the death of the sun
    or the end of the universe. However human eschatology is, in my view,
    something that will happen long before either of these. Apart from some
    sort of nuclear war, Christians don't seem to have thought much on this,
    but a human eschaton happening in the near future ("soon") with the
    earth having a long post-human history with perhaps other species
    knowing God, is a possibility should at least be considered.

    I agree that a Christian stewardship of the earth should therefore have
    an eye to maintaining the fruitfulness of the earth in the geological
    long term as well. When I talk about creation care at YWAM, having
    gotten people's heads round a 4.6 Ga earth history, I then introduce
    them to the idea of a 4.5 Ga future to the earth (not necessarily
    humanity). The reactions are interesting.

    Blessings

    Jon