peacocke(s) and ICR

From: Ted Davis (tdavis@messiah.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 02 2002 - 16:37:11 EST

    Not exactly birds of a feather, clearly enough! I don't know Arthur's wife,
    but I've spoken with Arthur a few times and wish to add a background comment
    on creationism, as he might view it.

    Arthur regards me, many ASAers, and some significant modern writers on
    sci/faith (whom I will not name publicly) as fundamentalists. I am
    confident about his view of me and of some others, because we've discussed
    this; I'm inferring his view of ASAers generally. My intepretation of
    Arthur (please read that again before continuing, nothing the "i" word) is
    as follows. Having rejected utterly the type of evangelical faith of his
    youth as "unscientific," Arthur has implicitly accepted the "warfare" view
    of religion and science, according to which science is the final arbiter of
    truth on matters of faith--ie, science determines the character as well as
    the content of our belief on matters involving nature, which he continues to
    call the "creation" though not in terms that I find adequate. Theology
    ought to be purged of most traditional notions. This might best be done by
    redefining traditional terms, yet again, in favor of science--hence his
    frequent use of scare quotes when referencing things such as "resurrection
    of the body." I could go on.

    The main point of my impression is, that Arthur seems simply unable to
    acknowledge a genuine intellectual contribution from anyone somewhat to his
    right, theologically, because anyone who does not accept the fundamental
    premise of the warfare thesis is just not modern enough to have a
    contribution worth considering--a scientist's attitude if there ever was
    one, nothing older than last month's data is any good. Fill in the name(s)
    of some of the greatest theologians of the twentieth century, let alone
    those of the fifth or the sixteenth centuries (my knowledge of the latter
    group, though I am hardly a theologian, seems wider and deeper than his,
    judging from informal conversations), and the situation becomes almost
    ludicrous, if it weren't so deadly serious.

    Thus, I really do doubt that Arthur is discriminating enough to separate
    the wheat from the chaff, on an issue like creationism. (Some might say
    that Phillip Johnson suffers from a similar disorder.) Like many British
    intellectuals, he'd like to think that creationism is a purely American
    phenomenon, and then ask what we would expect from evangelicals anyway.
    People who believe in the literal resurrection, or the actual temporality of
    the universe, or the virgin birth, qualify as fundamentalists in his book;
    they haven't made the necessary theological adjustments to count as having
    something worth saying. Perhaps Polkinghorne can actually persuade Arthur
    to the contrary, but I think this remains to be seen.

    To an historian such as myself, this is more than just a little
    frustrating--I've spent my professional life mining the Christian tradition
    for insights helpful to the contemporary conversation--so I apologize if my
    impression seems unfair. But I do think it accurate.

    Ted Davis