Re: peacocke(s) and ICR

From: Michael Roberts (topper@robertschirk.u-net.com)
Date: Tue Apr 02 2002 - 17:01:52 EST

    Ted,
    You are trying to ruffle Arthur's feathers! I feel you have overstated
    matters, though Arthur is most definitely a LIBERAL Anglican, though much
    less so than Spong.

    I have known AP for 20 years and oddly in the late 50s when he was starting
    his sci and religion work he sought advice from my uncle G Yarnold a vicar
    cum physicist. A regards me as too conservative and biblicist and I find his
    theology lacks redemption.

    I am not sure he accepts the warfare of Sci and religion but he does let sci
    be the arbiter hence his rejection of miracle. When he spoke to our diocese
    in Balckburn in the cathedral( - standing in front of the nave altar with a
    lovely red frontal - and a blue peacock on it. I dont think it was the
    Dean's sense of humour though he is the splitting image of Derek Nimmo!)
    some pointed out that his theology was very well argued but lacked fire.

    I agree with Ted that British christians simply do not understand
    Creationism and until they do they will not counteract it. Also offer
    Arthur's theology to an evangelical and they will prefer Johnson and even
    possibly Ham.

    Michael