Re: Creationism in the UK (Utley v Dawkins)

From: Howard J. Van Till (hvantill@novagate.com)
Date: Tue Apr 02 2002 - 09:13:41 EST

    From: "Robert Schneider" <rjschn39@bellsouth.net>
    Re: British School Inspectors

    Those of us who attended the Templeton Foundation Science and Religion
    Course Workshop at MIT in the summer of 1998 heard a presentation by
    Rosemary Peacocke, Arthur Peacocke's wife, on teaching religion in UK
    schools. Rosemary is one of the Queen's Inspectors of Schools. She might be
    in a position, especially with the support of her husband, to act on this
    issue if she (and Arthur) were to be given information about the creationist
    movement in the US, particularly the Morris-Ham axis and their activities.
    I think I can get ahold of Arthur's email address, if anyone should like to
    follow up on this.

    My suspicion is that Arthur would consider it appalling to find it necessary
    to become involved in an engagement with a YEC movement in the UK. He is,
    however, quite concerned to express his strong objections to the ID
    movement, which he sees as a contemporary version of special creationism,
    appearing to be more scientifically sophisticated than YEC, but founded on
    the same theological premise of supernatural intervention as God's means of
    actualizing novel creaturely structures in the course of time.

    Howard Van Till