Re: Current Events

From: Robert Schneider (rjschn39@bellsouth.net)
Date: Sat Mar 30 2002 - 21:04:22 EST

    Re: Current EventsSee below
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Howard J. Van Till
      To: D. F. Siemens, Jr.
      Cc: rjschn39@bellsouth.net ; asa@calvin.edu
      Sent: Saturday, March 30, 2002 4:20 PM
      Subject: Re: Current Events
      Dave wrote:

         There is a different area involving human beings which has often been mistaken for indeterminism, human freedom. Actually, free will or choice falls under a special type of determinism, self-determination, an area where we are, though limited, initiating causes. (Only God is an unlimited or unrestricted originating or initiating cause.)

        Howard wrote:

        Are we back to the question about God being, in some beneficial way, restricted"? I'm not convinced that all restrictions are necessarily to b e rejected

        Bob's comment:
        Is there a sense in which one could say that human free will is also "restricted"? Do not human beings voluntarily restrict their freedom out of the realization that self-chosen restrictions make possible the fullness of being human, hence are beneficial. Is there a paradox here: the absolute freedom of the will to choose restricted by certain free choices?

        Could be say, using the word that Hartshorne doesn't like, that God compassionately liberates the world from God's own omnipotence? (I say "compassionately" because, as Aquinas asserted, compassion is the expression of Love, which is the one thing that can be attributed to God univocally (on the basis of revelation): "God is Love.")