The Vigil of Easter

From: Robert Schneider (rjschn39@bellsouth.net)
Date: Sat Mar 30 2002 - 20:38:45 EST

                            HYMN FOR THE VIGIL OF EASTER

                                            "Rejoice!"

    Rejoice now, heavenly hosts and choirs of angels,

    and let your trumpets shout Salvation

    for the victory of our mighty King.

    Rejoice and sing now, all the round earth,

    bright with a glorious splendor,

    for darkness has been vanquished by our eternal King.

    Rejoice and be glad now, Mother Church,

    and let your holy courts, in radiant light,

    resound with the praises of your people..

    It is truly right and good, always and everywhere, with our whole heart and mind and voice, to praise you, the invisible, almighty, and eternal God, and your only-begotten Son, Jesus Christ our Lord; for he is the true Paschal Lamb, who at the feast of the Passover paid for us the debt of Adam's sin, and by his blood delivered your faithful people.

    This is the night, when you brought our fathers,

    the children of Israel, out of bondage in Egypt,

    and led them through the Red Sea on dry land.

    This is the night, when all who believe in Christ

    are delivered from the gloom of sin,

    and are restored to grace and holiness of life.

    This is the night, when Christ broke the bonds of death and hell,

    and rose victorious from the grave.

    How wonderful and beyond our knowing, O God,

    is your mercy and loving-kindness to us,

    that to redeem a slave, you gave a Son.

    Holy is this night, when wickedness is put to flight,

    and sin is washed away.

    It restores innocence to the fallen, and joy to those who mourn.

    It casts out pride and hatred, and brings peace and concord.

    How blessed is this night, when earth and heaven are joined

    and man is reconciled to God.

          (Exsultet, Latin hymn, ca. early sixth century)

            VIGIL PRAYER

    O GOD of unchangeable power and eternal light: Look favorably on your whole Church, that wonderful and sacred mystery; by the effectual working of your providence, carry out in tranquility the plan of salvation; let the whole world see and know that things which were cast down are being raised up, and things which had grown old are being made new, and that all things are being brought to their perfection by him through whom all things were made, your Son Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

                                       (Latin, early sixth-century. Book of Common Prayer)