Re: Current Events

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Thu Mar 28 2002 - 18:21:38 EST

    "Howard J. Van Till" wrote:

    > From: george murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
    >

    > One (but not the only) problem with this approach is that
    > the same fundamental physical processes are involved in
    > actions that result in good as well as evil. If God acts by
    > persuasion, or co-operation, or concurrence, or whatever, in
    > fusion reactions in the sun that provide solar energy so
    > that we can live, in seems very difficult to argue that God
    > isn't involved in the same way in the fusion reactions in a
    > an H-bomb detonated over a city.
    >

    > Precisely so. In both cases the divine "involvement" is constrained by
    > the essential restriction of non-coercion of creaturely action.
    > (Essential here means as a consequence of the fundamental nature of
    > God, the world, and their relationship.)

           Do I understand you to say that God does not only not intervene
    to stop volcanoes, H-bombs &c but that God cannot, "as a consequence of
    the fundamental nature of God, the world, and their relationship", keep
    from doing whatever it is God does (persuade, cooperate &c) with natural
    processes to enable them to bring about their consequences?

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy
    http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/