Re: Current Events

From: Cmekve@aol.com
Date: Wed Mar 27 2002 - 21:19:42 EST

    In a message dated 3/27/02 10:19:59 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
    don.perrett@verizon.net writes:

    << Thanks for the comments.
     I agree with yours and Wally's idea of normalcy. I must say, with certainty,
     that after having worked in communications and Intel in the Army for over 10
     years, there have been tests done in the past of which no one aside from a
     few, including our Russian counterparts, were aware. This of course does not
     mean that this is an instance of these cases. Wally gives a http from which
     the data is collected. I could not find however any specific mention of the
     timing. It may show an accumulation of occurrences for individual years, but
     where is the data for this specific time period and the magnitude. Is the
     magnitude of these quakes normal for this time period. I am not a
     seismologist. That said, are not earthquakes of greater magnitude more
     common during periods of climatic change? If so, then is it normal for there
     to be quakes of this magnitude during the winter?>

    KVE: Never heard of this one! If I remember correctly, the focal depth for
    the latest Afghan earthquake was at 50 km depth. A few degrees temperature
    change or a bit less rain at the surface is not going to make any difference.

    < Understand that I am not
     trying to draw a conspiracy theory. I have had a few friends who question
     this and I would prefer to have some concrete scientific reasoning for the
     quakes. Any info on this would be appreciated. Also, would either of you
     know what role the drought in that area would play on these quakes?
     Thanks again.
     Don P

    Karl
    Karl V. Evans