Living with Mystery (was BIBLE: Marcus Borg)

From: Robert Schneider (rjschn39@bellsouth.net)
Date: Wed Mar 27 2002 - 12:17:20 EST

    I want to thank Howard Van Till for his kind words of affirmation, and George Murphy for his thoughtful perspective (and theological references) on the historicity of the resurrection. As we approach the most important festival day of Christian faith, the day on which we especially celebrate it, the resurrection seems like a fitting topic for readers of our ASA discussion group to meditate on. Let me add a few more thoughts.

         I appreciate that the notion of "faith seeking understanding" guides so much of our desire to make sense of biblical revelation. I became a medievalist in my youth because I was bowled over by the brilliance of Aquinas' philosophical and theological writings, which so exemplified this dictum; I made my acquaintance with Anselm, Abelard, Bonaventure, and others who did likewise. One could add the names of the great Reformers to this list. I still honor them, as I do all who humbly seek that understanding. And, I am also all too aware of the dark side of this search, in which "certitude" replaces "understanding" and becomes the measure of faith, in which the "formulation about" occupies the judgment seat and declares who is in or out, orthodox or heterodox, and what is "the Christian way" of thinking about everything from the Bible to scientific paradigms.

         I believe in the reality of the resurrection of Jesus and believe that this reality is grounded in a historical event, but I am content to let my understanding of it be wrapped up in the mystery of it. Not that understanding doesn't matter, but it seems to me, as I have come to live with mystery, that it still remains darkly mirrored and will only be fully disclosed when we are face to face. And that is sufficent for me.

    Bob Schneider