Re: Francis S. Collins on ASA Discussion List March 24th

From: Harry Cook (hcook@oanet.com)
Date: Sat Mar 23 2002 - 14:38:24 EST

    I have been grateful for the people that have suggested that our list-
    serve has become too much of a chatroom. With one-line
    comments going back and forth. As Franic Collins comes on-line,
    I would humbly request that we give our pet subjects a break for a
    while, and send him some questions instead.

    ASs someone suggested, and I agree:

    Let's NOT subject him to tons of e-mail about angels, or
    somebody's favorite interpretation of Genesis, or dualism vs.
    monism, or the King James translation, or the spiritual condition of
    animals, or whether YEC is a "cult", or various other subjects that
    have occupied us these past few weeks.
     That is not to say that all those topics are out of place on the ASA
    list (though I wouldn't mind if some of them never came back after
    next week), just that these topics would not be the best use of our
    limited time with Dr. Collins.

    For, as someone else noted:

    I also agree that it would be good for all of us to remind ourselves
    that this is an email discussion list not a chat-room, and that "chat-
    room" kinds of remarks would best be sent to the individual and not
    copied to the listserv.

    It would be great to have some quality level discussions on genetic
    determinsm and HGP, on the effect of privatization on genetic
    research in North America, to name but two.

    Harry Cook
    15032 84 Ave
    Edmonton, AB T5R 3X5

    phone: 780-489-8563