Re: ASA Perspective

From: SteamDoc@aol.com
Date: Fri Mar 15 2002 - 19:54:33 EST

    In a message dated 3/15/02 1:17:52 PM Mountain Standard Time,
    Norm.Woodward@robins.af.mil writes:

    > Allan Harvey, steamdoc@aol.com wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    > There is only a problem if one insists that Biblical "infallibility"
    > applies not only to the traditional "matters of faith and practice" but
    > also
    > to scientific questions outside the purpose of Scripture. Of course some
    > people do that. Such people were in trouble long before Darwin, since if
    > read that way the Bible teaches that the mustard seed is the smallest of
    > all
    > seeds, that the Sun revolves around the Earth, and that the waters above
    > the
    > Earth are held back by a solid dome.
    >
    > ________________
    > Out of curiosity, where in the bible does it say "....that the Sun revolves
    > around the Earth..."?

    For starters, see the Biblical arguments on this Webpage:
    http://www.geocentricity.com/whygeocentricity.htm

    Of course reasonable people would say that these arguments are mistaken,
    that these passages are not about astronomy and that God was communicating
    in a way appropriate to the conceptual framework of the inspired writers
    and original prescientific audience.

    But when some of us make similar observations about forced scientific
    readings of Genesis 1, many of those reasonable people view that as making
    Scripture "weak" (or as selling out the Bible completely).

    At least this geocentrist guy is consistent enough to take his Biblicism to
    its logical end ...

    Allan
    Dr. Allan H. Harvey, Boulder, Colorado | SteamDoc@aol.com
    "Any opinions expressed here are mine, and should not be
     attributed to my employer, my wife, or my cats"