Re: ASA Perspective

From: PHSEELY@aol.com
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 22:20:41 EST

    Don wrote,

    << If we accept that
     the Bible is in fact the truth for all people of all eras then it must be
     written in such a way as to be understandable and believable to all
     generations. >>

    The OT was written in Hebrew, the NT in Greek. Are those languages
    understandable by all people in all generations? If you had a reasonably good
    translation, would that be enough? Or do you need information on the
    geography, customs, background history, etc? There are men who have spent 20
    and 30 years studying just one book of the Bible. Does the "ploughboy" who
    reads that book of the Bible understand just as well as the person who
    labored over it?

    When I was a young Christian I read through the Bible from cover to cover
    nine times. Then providentially I was given the time to look a little deeper.
    I read through Smith's Bible Dictionary cover to cover in 4 volumes of fine
    print. When I finished, I read the Bible through for the tenth time and
    realized that the tenth time was the first time I had really begun to
    understand the Bible.

    If you read about the Wycliffe Translators, you will find that in some
    cultures even the basic message of the Bible has sections that can barely be
    understood because of cultural background. Every cultural background is a
    filter through which the Bible is distorted; and our modern Western culture
    is no different.

    The Bible is for all peoples of all eras, but that does not mean that without
    the requisite background knowledge that all of its parts are understandable
    by all. There are many good commentaries on books of the Bible written by
    very capable scholars. God placed those scholars in the Church for the
    edification of the Church. "And God has appointed in the church first
    apostles, second prophets, third teachers..." 1Cor 12:28. God appointed
    teachers because the Bible is not immediately understandable to all.

    The illusion that all we need is the Bible is just that.

    Paul