Re: The Bible is not a scientific text??

From: Jim Eisele (jeisele@starpower.net)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 04:02:04 EST

    Allen writes

    >I want to bring up a topic for discussion.
    >It is often said, "The Bible is not a scientific text."
    >I would like to know just exactly what is meant by that.
    >What would a "scientific text" supplied or inspired by God look or read
    >like?
    >Could God (omniscient as he is) even write, inspire or supply a "scientific
    >text?"
    >Can observations or statements in ancient texts be used to develop or
    >support a scientific model?
    >Even if an ancient text were written by people who held 'non-scientific'
    >beliefs about the natural world, could a scientist make use of statements
    in
    >the text that could be interpreted to agree with current scientific
    >concepts

    Hi Allen. To address one of your issues, at least

    >It is often said, "The Bible is not a scientific text."

    Jan de Koning brought up this very same point a few days back.
    (We didn't get around to discussing it at that time.)
    Mon Mar 11 2002 - 17:12:02 EST

    >As indicated above, a discussion on the subject of Bible reading, even the
    >reading of Genesis is very welcome, but only when we start with the
    >preliminaries: "How do we read God's Word?''

    To the YECrs - remember just how wrong the church was about Galileo and
    consider the enormity of scientific evidence against you.
    1 Corinthians 14:33 "for God is not a God of confusion but of peace"
    Consider alternate interpretations of Gen 1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Jim