Re: ASA Perspective

From: Jan de Koning (jan@dekoning.ca)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 09:07:31 EST

    At 10:47 PM 11/03/02 -0500, Walter Hicks wrote:
    >Let me do my honest best, Jan
    >
    >Jan de Koning wrote:
    > >
    > > At 05:53 PM 11/03/02 -0500, Walter Hicks wrote:
    >SNIP
    >

    > > >I would have to say that over 90% of the Christians I know fall into one
    > > >of these two categories.
    >

    > > This is a statement for which no proof is given.
    >
    >How can I give you a "proof" when I talk of people that I know. Shall I
    >send you airline fare so that you can talk to them yourself? Or are you
    >saying that you think that I am a liar when I speak of the congregation
    >which I attend and the scientists with whom I interact?
    Apparently you talk to different people than I do. I would say that here
    (in our church) it is the other way around, a sign that one has to be
    careful with general statements like that.

    >I think it depends much
    > > on where you grew up, where you went to school etc. Even when I say that
    > > God revealed Genesis 1 (and there is much more than just Gen.1
    > > involved, Make it for the time being Gen.1-11. Where do you get the idea
    > > that it is the norm?

    >I can only say that it is the norm for the local area in which I live
    >now insofar as science is concerned. Insofar as "theology' is concerned,
    >it is typical of my present church and also of when we lived in El paso
    >texas.
    >
    >Perhaps the problem is one where we all live and the limited database we
    >all have.

    I have been in a study committee of our churches, and found that the lack
    of, or the type of elementary education has a lot to do with it. If you
    are going to elementary school in areas were "creationist" fundamentalists
    are in the majority teaching in elementary schools is different from
    teaching somewhere else. That is why we as Calvinists always have insisted
    on basic Christian schools from grade one to university.

    I have to leave now. Later more.

    Jan de K.

    >Jan, to me YOUR statements are the generalities and I think that I have
    >been as specific as I know how to be. Are you asking me to quote a
    >theologian or author? If so, I cannot comply. I can only say what I have
    >experienced, what people I know say to me, what I think science relates
    >to our experience, what I think is logical and how I sense that others
    >feel about our dialogs on this list serve. What more do you request?

    Indeed my statements are generalities. But if I have to state the
    backgrounds, as I have stated before, I would have to start from the
    beginning and that would take years.

    Jaan de K.