Re: ASA Perspective

From: Jan de Koning (jan@dekoning.ca)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 17:12:02 EST

    Though I do agree that calling names does not get you anywhere, but neither
    does accusing others who read the Bible as God's infallible Word, that they
    do not believe Gen.1. Time and again it has been pointed out here that the
    first chapters of Gen.1 are not history in our modern sense of the
    words. Reports have been written on it by people who believe that the
    Bible is God's Word. Still we, who tried to discuss these things
    intelligently on this forum often did not receive answers, or only answers
    which did not make sense as replies to what we wrote. We all believe that
    the Bible is the Word of God. Talking as if we don't, because we are what
    is called here NATURALISTs, does not bring any discussion forward. No
    wonder that many of us give up after trying a few times.

    As elder in my church it was my habit when this type of discussion came up
    to try once or twice, but when accusations etc. came I gave up. Stories
    about losing "faith" either way abound, but do not help different people in
    discussions. When using these words, I find out, that they do use the
    words in a different meaning in discussions than I do. If people are not
    willing to discuss the backgrounds of the Bible, God's Word spoken in
    definite times during the history of God's people, discussing becomes
    impossible, and only alienates brothers and sisters in Christ like the last
    lines of your message indicate in the opposite direction.

    The subject, "the first 11 chapters of Genesis", is not a subject that can
    be talked about in a few messages back and forth, it takes years of
    study. That means, that it is necessary to listen to backgrounds, basics
    of bible-study, biblical history, Christian philosophy (and there are
    several philosophies which want to be true to the Bible) history of
    dogmatics, church history in Europe and here, etc. Whenever I tried to
    talk about these things in "just" discussions, either around the
    coffee-table or on forums like this, I gave up after a while, because it
    seemed to me that people did not want to understand, or that I was not
    clear enough, or that people did not want to give the necessary time to
    study etc..

    Actually, the subject is much wider than these few points I mentioned, as
    one should start with realizing that the Bible was given by God firstly to
    people who had no reading skills, who had a totally different view on life
    than people who use the Internet, read books, check out materials etc. etc,

    Furthermore, the meaning of words changes over time. When the King James
    translation came "truth", "troth" had in the first place the meaning
    "faithfulness". Conforming to facts in the modern sense of the word was
    hardly involved. It is a bad sign when people refer to the "King James"
    version in preference to more modern translations.

    As indicated above, a discussion on the subject of Bible reading, even the
    reading of Genesis is very welcome, but only when we start with the
    preliminaries: "How do we read God's Word?'' "How do we understand God's
    History with this world?". All these things should be prefaced with a
    discussion on history and philosophy, since I discovered that many on this
    list understand "objectivity" and "subjectivity" different than I do. Then
    when I try to figure out what different people in discussions mean when
    using these words, I find out, that they do use the words in meanings which
    are different from mine, but that they don't agree on the meaning
    either. All of this make the discussions on these subjects very
    frustrating, even when one is willing to discuss.

    Then, of course, when name calling starts I give up. I believe, that God
    created the universe, that because of our human sin Jesus died for us, that
    the Bible tells us the story of Creation, Fall in sin, and
    Redemption. But, when in a discussion my values as stated are questioned
    and doubted, I give up, because I realize, that in order to get a valuable
    discussion many backgrounds must be discussed willingly.

    Jan