Science-Faith Paradigm Scale development--A request for assistance

From: Bundrick, David (BUNDRICKD@evangel.edu)
Date: Sun Mar 10 2002 - 18:37:54 EST

    Dear Friends,
    Having been a silent participant on the ASA listserv in the past, I have benefited from reading discussions about the relationship between science and Christian faith. I have also observed the kindness demonstrated by many of you in assisting and guiding the work of younger students in this arena. Therefore, I have reason to believe that some of you may have an interest in helping me at the current juncture in my doctoral work.
    I requesting about 6-8 of you, with some expertise in this area (patterns of relating faith and science), to consider serving as members of a panel of judges to rate items I have written for a new scale I am constructing as part of my Ph.D. dissertation in the College of Education at the University of Missouri-Columbia.
    The title of the research is "The Development of a Scale to Identify College and University Professors' Science-Faith Paradigms." The purpose is to develop a psychometric instrument that can identify and discriminate among science-faith paradigms in practice among college and university science professors. It is expected that this new scale will be useful for validating existing theoretical science-faith paradigms; enhancing appreciation for the diversity of scientific-religious perspectives among science educators; and making possible further research in this area.
    From my review of the literature I have identified many theoretical patterns of relating faith and science and have consolidated them into five basic patterns. I will be asking the panel of experts simply to assign each scale item to the one pattern (of the five) with which it best corresponds, and return the results to me. I suspect this assignment would require about an hour to complete. I plan to have the items to the judges by the end of this week.
    If you have some background and interest in this area of study, I would like to discuss with you the possibility of your assisting me in this way, and answer any questions you might have for me. Please e-mail me at bundrickd@evangel.edu
    I am most grateful for your interest.
    Sincerely,
    David R. Bundrick, Ph.D. (cand.)
    Vice President for Student Development