Re: Human origins and doctrine (was Definition of "Species")

From: John W Burgeson (burgytwo@juno.com)
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 18:36:51 EST

    Adrian wrote: "My point is that I fail to understand how one can
    deny the historicity of Adam and explain the biblical understanding of
    the
    inheritance of sin/guilt/corruption (depending on your tradition), and
    also
    reconcile that with how Paul, in his letter to the Romans (Ch5), seems to
    assume that sin came through ONE man."

    I accept that. Having been trained as a physicist, and that came a long
    time before I became a Christian, I tend to think of things in terms of
    metaphors, not literalism. You appear to take scripture much more
    literally than I do -- and that's fine -- I have no wish to "convert" you
    to what is usually thought to be a more liberal view.

    Suffice it to say that I do not DENY the historicity of Adam -- I just
    think that (1) it is not a very likely thing and (2) historic or not it
    is also not of much importance. So, (3), for me, the question is simply
    not very interesting.

    In a second part of the message, Adrian continued: "Finally, I also fail
    to see how my view is "not particularly biblical", since this is the view
    held by the majority of Christians through the centuries."

    Really? I think not. Only certain fundamentalists have held this. Even my
    friend, Dr. Gish, of ICR, has stated to me privately that he does not
    hold it.

    To refresh the issue, I said: "If I do not think Adam was a real live
    single human
     being, does that mean I am not a Christian? I'd assert that such is a
    very narrow view. And not particularly biblical."

    I'll stand by that. It is not "biblical" to read someone out of
    Christianity because they do not give assent to some particular
    statement. It is as simple as that.

    John Burgeson (Burgy)

    http://www.burgy.50megs.com
           (science/theology, quantum mechanics, baseball, ethics,
            humor, cars, philosophy and much more)