RE: Darwinism/Compassion

From: James Taggart (james.taggart@spectel.com)
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 15:10:03 EST

    Much as it is unpleasant, much of what Lucy says is true. Furthermore,
    the "compassion" shown by the government isn't even Biblical. In the
    parable of the good Samaritan, Jesus didn't say that you should take
    every needy person into your house and feed them indefinitely. The
    Samaritan did what he could, and then left the injured person to recover
    on his own.

    "Government" intervention, as Lucy notes, makes the problem worse, in
    many cases because:
    1. Nobody "owns" the problem, so fixes just pile up, instead of
    solutions
    2. Government programs never go away, even if they don't work. They just
    get bigger
    3. Government programs can be redirected away from their original
    intentions, for political reasons.

    Christians should (must) engage in assisting those in trouble and need,
    especially those in their own communities. But it should be done
    through people "on the scene" who can best judge the effects of the aid,
    and act accordingly. The government should stay out of it.