Re: Human origins and doctrine (was Definition of "Species")

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 15:20:28 EST

            There is another point that ought to be noted in this discussion. As
    Bob points out with citations below, the eastern tradition generally holds that
    the descendants of Adam did not inherit his guilt but were subjected to physical
    illness, death, & corruption because of Adam's sin. But the idea that our
    vulnerability to disease and our physical death are due to sin, and would not
    exist if sin had not been committed, seems very implausible in an evolutionary
    scenario. Certainly our prehuman ancestors, who couldn't sin because they
    weren't moral agents, died. Unless we want to say that the first humans were
    briefly gifted with immortality at the time they became (however it happened)
    genuinely human, they would have been as mortal as their biological ancestors.
            As I have pointed out here before, there is some hint in Athanasius that
    the first humans would have died even had they not sinned. His interpretation
    of Gen.2:17 in Greek, where the Hebrew "you shall surely die" is rendered "dying
    you shall die," is that there are two aspects of death. There is the "mere"
    biological death and then the corruption which is a result of sin. His language
    suggests, though he does not explicitly say, that humans would have been subject
    to the first aspect even if they hadn't sinned.

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy
    http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/